International Student Tutors and Supporters
International students can find some aspects of studying in Japan more difficult than Japanese students do. Under the International Student Tutor System, older students (tutors) provide international students with individual support and advice on matters such as their studies, research, and daily life, including helping them to improve their Japanese language ability.
All international students other than credited auditors are eligible to receive individual support from a tutor.
In addition, a supporter can be assigned to those who need support with necessary procedures immediately after arrival in Japan or immediately after enrollment, until a tutor is assigned.
Please refer to the following URL for information on how to apply for the tutor and supporter system.
2. Duration of Support
- Undergraduate and graduate students may receive support for up to two semesters (maximum 1 year) during the prescribed period in which they must complete their studies after matriculating.
- Research students and exchange students may receive support for the first two semesters after matriculating (maximum 1 year).
3. Details of Support
International students can receive a range of different types of support, as illustrated below.
Examples of support with daily life
- Administrative procedures to be completed at the City Office (residence registration, national health insurance, national pension enrollment)
- Opening a bank account
- Mobile phone and internet contracts
- Accompaniment to doctor’s appointments or hospital visits
Examples of support at university
- Showing round university facilities and laboratories (administrative offices, library, Healthcare Center , etc.)
- How to use the online student portal and the university email system
- Registration procedure for auditing courses for credit
- Advice on class content
- Guidance on correcting Japanese in written reports
- Bicycle registration
Inquiries: Student Affairs Division
Extracurricular Japanese Language Classes
OMU offers extracurricular classes in Japanese for international students. They are a great opportunity to learn Japanese and get to know other overseas students.